Monday, July 4, 2011

Patriotism isn't dead.....it's just hiding in small towns and out of the way places.

A friend of mine from high scool posted this on his facebook page:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

MY GENERATION GREW UP RECITING THIS EVERY MORNING IN SCHOOL WITH MY HAND ON MY HEART. THEY NO LONGER DO THAT FOR FEAR OF OFFENDING SOMEONE!

LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL RE-POST THIS AND NOT CARE ABOUT OFFENDING SOMEONE


I reposted it of course. I also added this note:

I was at a fireworks show last night in Locust Fork , Alabama. Right before it started they played the National Amthem and everyone stood up with hats off and hands on hearts. Patriotism isn't dead.....it's just hiding in small towns and out of the way places.
God bless everyone and GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

I forget sometimes that we have developed this complex about offending someone. My mother used to say , "If you are ashamed of something, maybe you shouldn't be doing it." When I stand and salute during the National Anthem or face the flag and say the Pledge of Allegiance, it never occurs to me that I might OFFEND someone. When I bow my head and say a silent blessing before I eat, I don't look around and see if I am OFFENDING someone. Neither am I offended when I see Muslim women with their heads covered in scarves or my Catholic friends cross themselves. When I was in Canada, the playing of Oh Canada didn't bother me in any way. In Saudi Arabia, prayers to Mecca didn't upset me. Tolerance is the ultimate expression of the American ideal! Its why we are here! It is what makes this country great! AND....tolerance is a two way street...... you give it and you have the right to expect it in return.

No comments: